THE VIRGINIA CHILDREN'S FESTIVAL HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO THE FORECASTED IMPACTS OF HURRICANE IAN!
Capitán Miranda was ordered in January 1930 from the Spanish Sociedad Española de Construcción Naval shipyard at Cádiz. The vessel was laid down on 3 March and launchedon 27 July 1930. As a hydrographic vessel she displaced 552 tons, with an overall length of 54.85 m (180.0 ft), and a beam of 8 m (26 ft). Capable of 12.5 knots (23.2 km/h; 14.4 mph), the ship was armed with a 37 mm cannon and a machine gun, and had a complement of 52. She was named after Captain Francisco Prudencio Miranda (1868–1925), Uruguayan naval officer and marine geographer.
Sea trials were completed on 19 November 1930, and on 21 November Capitán Miranda was delivered to the Uruguayan Navy. She served as a survey ship, charting the coasts and waters of Uruguay until 1976. She was then due to be scrapped, but instead was converted into a three-masted schooner. The conversion was completed by 20 October 1978, when she began in her new role as a training ship. Capitan Miranda has since participated in numerous international tall ship regattas
The Capitan Miranda was originally a survey ship, but is now the training ship for the Uruguayan Naval Academy at Montevideo. Built in Cadiz, Spain, in 1930, the ship was refitted and rerigged in 1978 and logs 10,000 sea miles annually.
The ship sails with 13 officers, 16 Midshipmen, 6 Petty Officers, 18 Corporals, 17 Sailors, and 9 visiting military personnel.