close attention bar icon
Vending header t-shirt vendor Mardi Gras booth wood booth beach bully booth smoothie booth Vendors bird

Becoming a Vendor FAQ's

Food & Retail Vending Frequently Asked Questions

Norfolk Festevents, Ltd. is a national award-winning event management company that provides the opportunity for a variety of food and retail vendors to exhibit and sell their products through nearly 100 days of waterfront festivals and events.  This page was designed to provide you with information about our organization and events and answer your questions about how to become involved.  All of this information is subject to change.

How do I get started?

You may complete and submit the food vendor or retail vendor application to apply for space at one of our events by CLICKING HERE.  Return the application with all of the requested information as soon as possible so that your company can be considered equally among all applicants.  Festevents begins assigning vendors to events in March.  If you are applying after March you might be denied due to space constraints or menu/item duplication.

Festevents generally only accepts vendors with experience.  References from major event production companies, or similar venues, are usually required.  Exceptions from this requirement are occasionally granted.  The standard tent size is 10' x 10' for retail and 15' x 15' for food, but we can accommodate almost any size operation. Commercial trailers, including carnival and marquee styles, are generally accepted only at Norfolk Harborfest®.  Trailer exceptions will be made for other festivals only after notification and review of special circumstances (i.e. Weight, Dimensions, etc.).

How much does it cost?

Costs depend on the duration of the event (from 4 hours up to 3 days), expected attendance (from 1,000 to 250,000), size of operation (from pushcart to 20' x 20') and products offered for sale.  Upon acceptance, fees start at $100.00 for retail and $125.00 plus 15% of sales after taxes for food.

How many vendors will attend each event?

Exact figures vary for each event depending on attendance.  We do not oversell the event and try to give each vendor every opportunity to be successful.

How many guests will attend each event?

Attendance estimates are given on the application and are based on previous year's attendance records.

How do I apply?

Fill out the application indicating which events you'd like to participate in.  Our Concessions Committee will select the vendors based on quality and variety of products, site appearance, past experience, and originality.

Do I have to sign a contract?

An officer of your company must sign a standard vendor agreement with the Norfolk Festevents, Ltd..  This vendor agreement protects each of us from any legal circumstances that may arise from your company's participation.  The vendor agreement is emailed to each vendor approximately eight weeks prior to the event and is due to Festevents four weeks prior to the event.  Payment is due with the vendor agreement.

Do I need insurance?

Every vendor must carry liability insurance with minimum policy limits of $1,000,000.00 for damage to property.  Insurance must include products liability, workers compensation and automobile liability.  Upon acceptance into an event, the City of Norfolk, Norfolk Redevelopment, and Housing Authority, Norfolk Festevents, Ltd., their agents, volunteers, officers, and employees must be named as additional insured as pertains to the insured's participation in Town Point Park, Ocean View Beach Park, or other City authorized area.  A valid certificate of insurance is due with the vendor agreement to Festevents.

What permits do I need?

Upon acceptance into an event, every vendor needs a City of Norfolk Special Events Business License to do business in the City of Norfolk.  Contact the Commissioner of Revenue at 757-664-7396 for more information regarding a business license and tax payments.  Upon acceptance, every food vendor must have a temporary food permit on file with the Norfolk Department of Public Health.  Contact the Norfolk Dept. of Public Health at 757-683-2800 for more information regarding a temporary food permit.  Participation, in any event, is contingent upon meeting the requirements of these two City of Norfolk departments.  Mobile Food Units such as Food Trucks and Trailors cannot operate in the City of Norfolk until a valid Mobile Food Unit Permit is issued by the Norfolk Fire Marshal's Office and complies with all applicable laws and regulations.

Does Festevents have ice available?

We will have ice available for sale to vendors at every event.  Festevents will collect payment for ice purchased at the conclusion of each event.  Of course, you can bring ice with you, if you'd like.  We offer ice on-site as a convenience to our food vendors and ice sales are not one of our income sources.  Park power limits make it impractical for a food vendor to operate an ice machine on-site.

Do any sponsors have exclusive sales rights?

Festevents will attempt to secure sponsors in the soft drink and bottled water categories.  Festevents reserves the right to secure and offer exclusive rights to sponsors in any other category.  Upon acceptance into an event, you will be notified of our sponsors' exclusive sales rights and you will be required to purchase only these items if you choose to serve them.




instagram icon youtube icon facebook icon twitter icon pinterest icon linkedin icon google plus icon yelp icon