SUNDAY WEATHER UPDATE (4:30 PM)
Still keeping our eye on the weather but moving forward with the original schedule. Park opens at 6 pm with larger than life visual art displays and performances beginning at 7:30 pm. Check back here and on our Facebook page for any new weather updates.
SUNDAY UPDATE (2:30 pm)
With an eye on the weather, we'll post updates here. We are full speed ahead as of now but may need to adjust the schedule as the 6 pm start and 7:30 pm performance times draw closer. Next weather update at 4:30 pm.
MOON TAKE THY FLIGHT is a weekend long outdoor installation art / promenade performance lasting up to three hours. You may arrive at 6pm to peruse the art and visit with artists, or arrive after 7:30 to see the characters and pop-up performances.
After entering the Enchanted Forest, guests will embark upon individual journeys and may stay in the Enchanted Forest to picnic or continue to explore until the Grand Final at 9:30 nightly in Festival Field.
Norfolk Festevents and Virginia Stage Company (VSC) team up to present Moon Take Thy Flight, the second installment of A Midsummer Fantasy Fest. This interactive performance art event will convene in Town Point Park, July 25th-27th, 2014 and will explore the story of Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream through an eclectic assembly of visual and performance artists, large scale puppetry, musicians and event designers.
Building on the success of last summer’s collaboration of The Tempest with the Virginia Stage Company in Town Point Park, Karen Scherberger, CEO of Festevents states, “Festevents and VSC are excited to work together again to further expand the edges of our collective imaginations to create a new type of audience experience inspired by today’s performance art movement.”
According to Scherberger, this non-linear reinvention of Shakespeare’s most popular comedy will interact with a series of large scale “enchanted art environments utilizing repurposed materials from previous events and festivals,” as well as materials unique to the style of the seven commissioned artists who will be creating them. The public is invited to stop by Town Point Park the Wednesday and Thursday before the festival to meet the artists as they construct their work on site.
Moon Take Thy Flight, inspired by such innovative events as Burning Man in the Nevada desert, the Figment movement and New York’s immersive theater Sleep No More, is the first interactive performance art project for Hampton Roads and introduces the largest collaboration of diverse performing and visual artists in a public project in this region.
Audiences are invited to bring a lawn chair and wait to become part of the story or wander through the large scale art environments to create their own unique experience. According to VSC organizers “Moon Take Thy Flight is ready for you to discover magical environments, experience art and become a part of Shakespeare’s imaginative tale within the beautiful, waterfront Town Point Park.”
Meet the Artists:
- Bland Hoke, the visual art project manager for Moon Take Thy Flight whohas created art installations at Burning Man in Nevada and has been recognized for his installation art pieces worldwide.
- Patrick Mullins, VSC’s Associate Artistic Director, who worked closely with Scherberger last summer to create The Tempest in Town Point Park.
- Blair Mielnik, out of New York has extensive experience in immersive theater including his work on Sleep No More, which has been running for over three years in Manhattan.
- Mike Bell, popular Virginia Beach artist and designer, has assembled a group of 5 diverse local artists to collaborate with the artistic team to design and construct the large scale art environments for the project including Charlie Rasputin of the Arts District and Alchemy; Wes Cheney known for his amazing bamboo constructions; Nichole Ashikis, and James Molloy.
- Core Theatre Ensemble An internationally touring independent theatre company based out of Hampton Roads, Virginia. CORE strives to create innovative, compelling ensemble works that challenge and excite the actors involved and the audiences that watch.
- Grace Davis as Costume Designer and Props Master
Hoke, Mielnik and Bell will also be constructing signature pieces for the project.
- Musicians include DjP and MrT, Jake Hull, Kelsie McNair and Karacell, all producing and performing original music.
- Donovan Zimmerman, co-founder of the Paperhand Puppet Intervention, whose large scale puppets were featured at last year’s Tempest in Town Point Park.
The festival will feature a variety of unique entertainment, children’s activities, craft brews, wines and ciders, as well as gourmet specialty food selections.
The park opens at 6:00pm each day, Friday – Sunday for audiences to enjoy the art installations and an artist meet & greet. At 7:30pm the park takes on new life as it begins to tell the story of A Midsummer Night’s Dream, culminating in a grand finale at 9:15pm. After Party in the park, open to the public, to follow until 11 pm.
What: A Midsummer’s Fantasy Festival
Where: Town Point Park, Downtown Norfolk Waterfront, Virginia
When: Friday, July 25 – Sunday, July 27, 2014 *
*Wednesday, July 23 & Thursday, July 24, 2014 public invited to stop by the park as artists construct their projects.
Time: Park opens 6 pm each day; Performances begin 7:30 pm; Finale 9:15 pm; After Party follows in the park until 11 pm.
Admission: Free and open to the public
Scene from 2013 Tempest in Town Point Park
Jake Hull performing Puppet Actors from 2013 Tempest
original works at 2013 Tempest
Virginia Stage Company (VSC)